Your search results

Check Your Unclaimed Funds: Does California Owe You Money?

Posted by Lorine Silver on February 1, 2011
| 0

California’s unclaimed property law requires corporations, business association, financial institutions and insurance companies to annually report to the California State Controller’s office any unclaimed property or funds.

The time period is generally three years, however there is no time limit on when an owner or their heirs can claim their property.

The most common types of unclaimed property are:

  • Bank accounts and safe deposit box contents
  • Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and dividends
  • Uncashed cashier’s checks and money orders
  • Certificates of deposit
  • Matured or terminated insurance policies
  • Estates
  • Mineral interests and royalty payments
  • Trust funds and escrow accounts

The State Controller’s office offers a resource where one can check if they have any unclaimed funds. I checked and unfortunately I had no money coming my way, but a client of mine had $700 that she could claim. It is worthwhile to check and see if you strike gold. It is extremely simple and easy to submit a claim if you find that you are owed money. On the State Controller’s site, search your name and click on the ID number to follow the instructions. Good luck!

Have you visited the site yet to see if you are owed any money? Did you know about this resource? Please leave your comments below and get the conversation started.

Photo courtesy of Tracy Olson’s Flickr

Compare Listings