The 90402 real estate market has a new entry in the category of highest price in its class. Once sold (and the rumor is that it has) it will crush the previous high sale. And if there were ever a spec home on a 50X150 lot worth $6.5 million, this Partners Trust listing at 324 10th Street is it! Back in 2013 a somewhat similar home in the 200 block of 12th was listed for a dizzying $5,995,000. When it sold a week later and closed quickly for $6,025,000 developers, neighbors and real estate agents wondered if that could be repeated any time soon. 2 years later, it will be. By my count, there were over 100 agents, brokers and principals visiting the Broker Open house this last Tuesday March 31. And although the house borrows heavily from the style and substance of a home we sold a few years ago on 24th street, the 10th Street home has some defining features that make it stand out – especially the basement. All you real estate junkies and voyeurs ought to get over there and have a look asap because I doubt it will be available to see for very long.
Whether you’re planning on eating chocolate bunnies or matzo ball soup (or both!) check out these fun facts about Easter and Passover:
- If you can’t get enough of those Cadbury eggs, you’re not alone; Americans spend about $1.9 billion on candy for Easter every year!
- When eating chocolate bunnies, about 3/4 of people eat the ears first; do you?
- Around 700 million peeps are sold each year.
- During Passover, Coca-Cola makes kosher Coke that’s available in select stores; the soda is made with real sugar instead of its usual high-fructose corn syrup.
- The largest matzo mall in the world was made in Tucson, Arizona in 2010; it weighed a whopping 488 pounds.
- Easter is the second largest holiday candy sales behind Halloween.
- Not surprisingly Easter is also your dentist’s second favorite holiday ($$).
Looking for a few fun weekend actives?
- Active is hosting an Easter morning marathon located at 2000 Ocean Ave, sign up for the race of your choice either the 5K, 10K, 15k or the ½ Marathon. All participants will get a medal and an ecofriendly “no bag” goodie bag.
- The 23rd Annual Peter Rabbit Day at the Douglas Park will be this Saturday from 9am-12pm, with races, face painting, egg hunts and egg dying, all for free!
- Montana Avenue’s Aero Theatre will host Bugs Bunny cartoon classics Sunday at 3:30pm starting with a candy filled egg hunt.
- If you want a delightful four-course prix fixe Passover dinner, head to Culina Friday thru Sunday. Dinner includes everything from kale salad, thyme & chive matzah ball soup, Jidori chicken or braised beef short ribs. Save room for desserts like strawberry sorbet, almond cake or chocolate budino to name a few. Select kosher wines also available, $60 per person.
- Looking for a Passover Seder? Reserve a spot at Spago, which is hosting a Seder at 5:30 pm on April 4. The price is $190 for adults & $85 for kids under the age of 9.
Here is your real-time real estate market info:
As mentioned above 324 10th Street along with 307 Euclid Street (See below for links) both hit the market this week. We sold 311 12th Street with multiple offers in less than two weeks (intentionally marketed longer than necessary) and a land value sale at 537 Euclid Street sold and went to escrow in less than two weeks. Our 101 Foxtail Drive sale closed escrow at just slightly under list price. The year-to-date number of closed sales has risen to 14.
New Listings this Week
324 10th Street – 5 bedrooms + 8 baths. $6,496,000. Brand new 3-story Cape Cod. Main level with living & dining rooms, paneled library, gourmet kitchen, outdoor patio. Lower level with guest suite, gym with bath and sauna, wine cellar. 4 en suite bedrooms upstairs with large master retreat. Backyard with patio with fireplace, art studio garage. Last sold in December 2012 as land value for $2,035,000.
307 Euclid Street – 5 bedrooms + 5 baths. $4,495,000. Beautiful Nantucket traditional. Features high ceilings, elegant moldings and wainscoting, wood paneled ceilings. Large cook’s kitchen with granite countertops and Viking appliances, open family room, charming stone patio, gracious master suite with large deck, and luxurious master bath. Last sold in September 2009 for $3,500,000.
101 Esparta Way – 3 bedrooms + 2 baths. $2,895,000. First time on the market in 43 years (translation, land value) Mid-century with beautiful ocean and canyon views. Features hardwood floors, high beamed ceilings, courtyard with sitting area, garden, lovely private patio. Great opportunity to remodel or build new. Can you believe that when this home last sold in 1972 it was only $69,000? Wow.
New Sales this Week
311 12th Street – 5 bedrooms + 5.5 baths. $4,350,000. Listed by Pence Hathorn Silver. Stunning Ken Ungar Hampton style home. Over 4,300 square feet of interior space. 4 en-suite bedrooms (all with full baths) and 1 bedroom plus 1.5 baths down. Features hardwood floors throughout, elegant crown and floor moldings, wainscoting, vaulted ceilings, and more. Formal living and dining, white marble chef’s kitchen. Large master suite with vaulted ceiling, 2 huge balconies and luxurious master bath. Last sold in May 2004 for $3,450,000.
537 Euclid Street – 3 bedrooms + 1 bath. $2,850,000. Great location around two blocks from chic cafes and boutiques on Montana Avenue. Beautiful 50 x 150 lot with lush landscaping. Last sold in February 1969 for $42,500.
1312 San Vicente Boulevard – 4 bedrooms + 4 baths. $2,849,000. 1930’s Spanish home. Great layout with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths up and 1 bedroom and 1 bath down. Intricate details such as stenciled ceilings and original beams. Grassy yard, koi pond, fountain and fruit trees. Move-in, remodel or build new! Roosevelt school district close to the beach. Last sold in November 2005 for $2,214,000.
Closed Deals this Week
101 Foxtail – 4 bedrooms + 4 baths – $3,900,000. Sold by Pence Hathorn Silver!
Pence Hathorn Silver Active Properties:
Call me for a couple of upcoming attractions, priced from $1.9 million to $6 million – they are not in the MLS.
770 Amalfi Dr. – 6 bedrooms + 6 baths – $6,000,000
1754 Franklin Canyon Dr. – 5 bedrooms + 5.5 baths – $3,795,000
1023 S. Bundy Dr. – 2 bedrooms + 2.5 baths – $2,195,000
11959 Mayfield Ave. #2 – 2 bedrooms + 2.5 baths – $899,000
Search for more homes, see real time analytics and learn about the North Santa Monica / North of Montana Avenue community on our North of Montana blog. Add your comments (scroll down to the “Add Your Comment” section) and read other blogs. And please call my mobile phone (310) 924-4014 with any questions.