June is for Dads and Grads and as the father of three sons, I’ve always milked Father’s Day for as much as I could get away with, but now that my youngest is a freshman in college, I am sure my Father’s Day will be a bit more sedate. North of Montana Santa Monica 615 18th 300×184 Is This Your Freedom Phase?
I was talking to a client about how it feels to be an empty nester and he stopped me and said “You have got to not call it that, John!”. The client is a well know author and psychologist and went on to say “You are now in your Freedom Phase!” “You are free to do more with your life since any time in the past 18 years!” While we were talking I asked him about his kids and whether he might ever down-size out of his 5,000 sq ft home North of Montana. (He too is in his Freedom Phase). Once again I was admonished for my choice of terms. “Right Size is what you want your clients to do, John!”
Of course Dr. Dan is correct. So, Freedom Phasers, who among you, my loyal customer base is ready to Right Size?
Our government encourages us to do so with tax incentives like prop 60 and prop 90. Proposition 60 allows transfers of base year values within the same county (intracounty). Proposition 90 allows transfers from one county to another county in California (intercounty) and it is the discretion of each county to authorize such transfers. As of September 19, 2013, nine counties have passed an ordinance authorizing intercounty transfers; however, it is recommended that you call your assessor for verification as it could change at any time.
Some of my clients have been in their homes for 15-20 years, having paid only $700,000, paying annual property taxes of only $10-12,000 per year. With those same $700,000 homes now valued at $3.2M there are lots of other, smaller places to live but the property taxes on a new purchase can be daunting. These two State Propositions make the move much more affordable. Are you ready? I hope so! We need Sellers in Santa Monica to satisfy our many motivated (some frustrated) Buyers.
Maybe you will go out on Father’s Day to discuss it further J
Here are a few local suggestions on where to go:
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co. and Food GSP are hosting the second annual CollaBREWtive brunch at Tiato in Santa Monica this Sunday from 11:30-3:30pm. Enjoy delicious pairings and food by renowned chefs. This is an event for the entire family that includes children activities.
- 50% off Beers for all Fathers at the Viceroy’s Cast restaurant, enjoy a special BBQ menu of pulled pork sandwiches, corn bread, brisket and chicken.
- Sanoma Wine Garden, hosting brunch for $35 per person or a three-course prime rib dinner for $49. Located at the Santa Monica Place, best to call and make reservations.
- Also at the Santa Monica Place, La Sandia is giving Dads one free beer, Margarita or Bloody Mary on Sunday.
- How about firing up the grill? Grab tasty all natural rib-eye, filets and chicken from the newest butcher shop, A Cut Above, located on Santa Monica Blvd.
Here is your up to the minute real estate market info:
There are 20 homes available to buy North of Montana Avenue with 4 new listings: 615 18th St., 1002 Alta Ave., 721 16th St. and 434 19th St., north of Montana. There are 8 homes in escrow (same as last week). Closed sales are 23 homes year-to-date.
New Listings this Week
615 18th St. – 7bd + 8ba. $6,495,000. A Pence Hathorn Silver exclusive! Grand and luxurious with over 7,800 sq ft of interior space. Features 2-story foyer, formal living and dining w/sitting area or lounge, luxurious master suite & master bath, full lower entertainment floor w/kitchenette, game room/gym, guest suite.
1002 Alta Ave. – 3bd + 4ba. $3,699,000. Beautiful home on a large corner lot. Features an open floor plan, hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, FDR. Master suite w/upgraded bathroom. Last sold in May 1991 for $1,505,000.
721 16th St. – 5bd + 5ba. $3,349,000. 1920’s but significantly redone and VERY custom. Great indoor & outdoor flow. Private and quiet. Very close to shops, restaurants on Montana. Last sold in November 2003 for $1,165,000.
434 19th St. – 3bd + 2ba. $2,800,000. Land-value / tear down on an 8,949 Gillette lot. My guess is that this will end up selling several hundred thousand dollars over asking – at least $3.1M. It last sold in October 1987 for $745,000.
New Sales this Week
333 12th St. – 5bd + 5ba. $4,295,000. Sold by Pence Hathorn Silver after 1 week on the market. Beautiful California Spanish by renowned local architect Robert Ramirez. Living room with soaring ceilings, formal dining, patios, balconies, rooftop terraces, and lovely gardens. Scheduled to close in 21 days.
Closed Deals this Week
- 537 Lincoln Blvd.- 5bd + 5ba. $3,858,000.
Pence Hathorn Silver Active Properties:
- 502 16th St. – 5bd + 7.5ba – $8,495,000
- 615 18th St. – 7bd + 8ba – $6,495,000
- 168 S. Medio Dr. – 5bd + 3.5ba – $3,595,000
- 143 Foxtail Dr. – 4bd + 3.5ba – $3,095,000
- 12727 Sunset Blvd. – 4bd + 4.5ba – $2,395,000
- 844 17th St. #102 – 2bd + 2ba – $1,795,000
- 416 Entrada Dr. – 3bd + 1.75ba – $1,450,000
- 2512 28th St. #106 – 4bd + 3.5ba – $1,250,000
- 1330 Stanford St. #F – 2bd + 2.5ba – $1,149,000
- 1747 Barry Ave. #111 – 2bd + 2.5ba – $549,000
Search for more homes, see real time analytics and learn about the North Santa Monica / North of Montana Ave. community on our North of Montana blog. Add your comments (scroll down to the “Add Your Comment” section) and read other blogs. And please call my mobile phone (310) 924-4014 with any questions.