- Set your thermostat comfortably low in the winter and comfortably high in the summer. Install a programmable thermostat that is compatible with your heating and cooling system.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Air dry dishes instead of using your dishwasher’s drying cycle.
- Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strip of when the equipment is not in use (TVs and DVDs in standby mode still use several watts of power).
- Lower thermostat on your hot water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Drive sensibly. Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gasoline.
- Use super efficient heating and cooling systems, ENERGY STAR products, low flow plumbing fixtures, etc.
The city of Santa Monica is promoting various financial incentives for the construction of sustainable buildings under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). For more information, please call Pence Hathorn Silver at 310-458-4024.